Spring is all about renewal, from ancient regeneration myth through to the daffodils now poking through the earth in your garden, this is the time of year when the cold winter finally releases its dormant energy in an explosion of color and vitality. It can be the same in your kitchen!
This salad blends a magical combination of ingredients guaranteed to deliver that early year energy boost that we all need once the frosts start receding. It is spring on a plate!
By putting together spinach, green peas, dill and lemon, you not only get a fabulous tasting meal but you also get a turbo-charged delivery of nutrients. This ‘dillicious’ veggie feast is crammed full of vitamin A, C, K and folate, as well as magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium and loads of antioxidants…of course… These nutrients will do the following great things for your body:
- Bone Health: stronger bones thanks to high vitamin K content and calcium.
- Energy Boost: fibre will regulate and stabilise the rate of conversion of starch into sugars. Iron will stimulate the production of red blood cells.
- Eye Health: lutein found in spinach, peas and lemon, prevents eye diseases such as macular degeneration and reduces the risk of cataracts.
- Heart Health: these ingredients will assist in the lowering of bad cholesterol (LDL), contributing to arterial health as well as lowering blood pressure.
- Healthy Digestive Tract: flavonoids & carotenoids in spinach can reduce inflammation in digestive tract. Dill also has a calming and anti-inflammatory effect. Lemon aids digestion.
- Antioxidant power: this dish help you neutralise free radicals, can reduce risk of cancer and has anti-inflammatory benefits.
The lemon not only freshens the taste of this salad but also enhances the absorption of minerals!
Ok, that was the healthy bit but for the gastronomes out there, rest assured, that this salad tastes simply amazing! It will add an explosion of freshness to any meal.
serves: 2 as a light main course / 3 as a starter
200g / 2 cups green peas – I use frozen
3 handfuls baby spinach – app. 60g / 2.1oz.
2tbsp lemon juice – app. juice of 1/2 lemon
1tsp white wine vinegar
1 small garlic clove – crushed
1tsp maple syrup
4tbsp olive oil
3tbsp chopped dill – app. 1 small bunch
salt & pepper
75g / 2.7oz soft goat cheese
1/2 lemon – zest only
- Cook the green peas for a few minutes in salted boiling water – don’t overcook them!
- In the meantime prepare the dressing. Simply mix all the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper – instead of salt you could use herbamare which I love in salads!
- Drain the green peas then add to a bowl with the spinach and dressing. Mix thoroughly. No need to let the peas cool down – it will smell dillicious!
- Prepare on a serving plate or on single plates. Add some dollops of soft goat cheese. Sprinkle with the lemon zest.
Tips / Variations
- Want it more nutritious? Sprinkle with chia or hemp seeds.
- Use good quality feta cheese or goats curd instead of the soft goat cheese.
- This salad is perfect to serve to guests as easy to make and looks and tastes fabulous!
Print recipe here: Dillicious Spring Salad Recipe