Don’t you love those recipes that give you lots of alternatives?
Starting your day with this delicious ‘Spiced Rhubarb and Strawberry Breakfast Parfait’ can turn any day into a happy one. This parfait is a composition of rhubarb compote and greek yoghurt which perfectly complement each other, the tart sweetness blending seamlessly with the softness of the yoghurt. Endlessly versatile, you can easily transform this fruit and vegetable mix into a decadent dessert or a crumble with a few minor tweaks. What about serving it with a vanilla panna cotta (just omit the basil in the ‘Basil Panna Cotta’)?
Rhubarb is one of those vegetables (yes vegetable!) that you just know is packed with lots of goodness as they taste so distinctively sour! (To counter this I have added strawberry and ginger to lift and accentuate its unique flavour.) This stem is a very good source of fibre, vitamin C and K, calcium, potassium and manganese, as well as a good source of magnesium.
Here are a few of its benefits:
- Protect your brain: vitamin K counters neuro-degeneration and reduces the risk of stroke and bleeding.
- Heart Health: increased levels of good cholesterol due to the dietary fibre.
- Bowel Health: the dietary fibre also encourages regular and smooth bowel movements.
- Strengthen your bones: calcium and vitamin K are essential in the maintenance of healthy bones.
- Eye Health: a concentration of lutein can reduce the risk of macular degeneration.
serves 2 or 4 mini versions
200g / 7oz rhubarb – trimmed and cut into 1cm / 0.4in pieces
2tbsp maple syrup
1tsp finely grated ginger
1tsp vanilla paste or 1 vanilla pod – seeds only
200g/ 7oz strawberries
granola – eg. Sin-amon Granola or gluten free
- Add the rhubarb, maple syrup, ginger and vanilla to a saucepan and heat gently.
- In the meantime, cut the strawberries into quarters, add to the rhubarb.
- As soon as the rhubarb is soft (about 15min), take the pan off the heat and let the compote cool down.
- Take two glasses or other recipients. Add a first layer of rhubarb, followed by a layer of greek yoghurt (2-3 heaped tbsp per layer) and so on – finish off with rhubarb. Optimally you’ll get 5 layers.
- Top with granola and bee pollen.
Tips / Variations
- Make it more decadent! This Breakfast Parfait works wonderfully as a a light dessert. Dare to be decadent: make a mix of half greek yoghurt and half cream cheese and sweeten with a bit of maple syrup. Pure bliss!!!
- Make it a crumble! Mix all the ingredients for the compote and add to a baking dish. Top with your favourite crumble and bake in the oven.
- Make ahead! Prepare the compote the night before and let cool overnight.
- Make it vegan! Serve with soy yoghurt (non-GMO) instead
Print recipe here: Spiced Rhubarb & Strawberry Breakfast Parfait – Recipe