As December approaches and the nights draw in, the more we feel the childish anticipation of Christmas. We start setting up the Christmas tree and all the decorations, the house fills with the smell of freshly baked cookies and a roaring fire is dances in the chimney. Now the only thing missing is a lovely cocktail in hand to remind us that Santa will soon be making his rounds…this may all sound a bit cheesy, but this year, more than most, a bit of simple Christmas cheer is exactly what we need.
This ‘Winter Spiced Gin Cocktail’ will give you the well deserved break in the evening where you can just put up your feet and enjoy the moment. As with the ‘Vanilla Pear Sour’, it uses a pear syrup – although this time spiced up with some cinnamon and star anis to give it a Christmassy edge. The shaken egg white creates a lovely creaminess and a beautiful foam on top, the perfect cloud upon which to drop your star anis. This recipe is taken from olive magazine‘s website.
makes 1 cocktail + 400ml of Spiced Pear Syrup – adapted from olive magazine
- 4 pears – cut in 1cm cubes
- 250g sugar
- 250ml water
- 1 star anis
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 25ml lemon juice
- 50ml gin
- 1 egg white
- 1 handful ice cubes
1 star anis
- Add the pear cubes, sugar, water and spices to a saucepan. Simmer softly for 30min. Let it infuse and cool down for another 30min.
- Strain through a muslin cloth and squeeze all the goodness out. Keep in a jug in the fridge. Keeps for a week.
- Put the lemon juice, gin, 25ml of the spiced pear syrup and the egg white into a cocktail shaker. Shake well. Add some ice. Shake well. Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a star anis.
Tips / Variations
- If this is too much egg white for you, just make 2 cocktail in one go with one egg white.
- Don’t like the star anis taste? Just use the cinnamon stick in the syrup.
Print Recipe here: Winter Spiced Gin Cocktail – Recipe