Dishes you can prepare in advance are literally life savers during the holiday season or if hosting a dinner party – unfortunately rather the exception at the moment. The beauty of this ‘Smoked Salmon Paté’ is that it works on any occasion: serve it as a canapé on blinis or crackers, a starter or for lunch accompanied by a green salad and some crusty bread. And…it only takes about 5-10 min so what’s not to love?
‘Smoked Salmon Pâté’ is one of those items that we buy rather than make ourselves. The beauty about making it yourself is that you can choose which smoked salmon you want to use, as tastes vary: wild or farmed; organic or not organic; strong of mild smoked… You could also use hot smoked salmon if this is your preference!
Health Benefits – Omega 3
Salmon is an oily fish which is known to be rich in the fatty acid omega 3 which protects both our cardiovascular and nervous systems. Compared to white fish, their heart-healthy fats are distributed in their flesh rather than in their liver, which in turn benefits us. In combination with selenium (also provided by salmon), omega 3 can help us lower our blood pressure, unhealthy cholesterol and inflammation which reduces the risk of heart disease, cancer and strokes. It also protects our eyes and joints and feeds our brain. Salmon can even help us look beautiful by counteracting the effects of ageing: it hydrates, nourishes and repairs our skin cells, promotes cell growth and reduces inflammation.
About the Recipe
I haven’t invented the wheel with this ‘Smoked Salmon Pâté’. Sometimes keeping it simple just works! Now if you want to make some changes to it, you could do the following:
- add grated fresh horseradish instead of the creamed one
- add fresh chopped dill
- exchange black pepper with crushed pink peppercorns as a topping – will add a lovely floral fruity twist
If you want to go a bit more fancy, try the ‘Potted Salmon’ on the olive magazine website which is delicious too!!!
Smoked Salmon Pâté
This 'Smoked Salmon Pâté is very easy and quick to make. You can prepare it ahead and it can be served on any occasion.
- 300g smoked salmon
- 150g soured cream
- 150g cream cheese
- 1 heaped tsp horseradish cream
- 1 good squeeze of a lemon
- Put 200g of the smoked salmon and the rest of the ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the last 100g of the smoked salmon and a good grind of black pepper. Pulse a few times until in the salmon is in small junks. This will give it a more interesting consistency.
- Serve with crusty bread and a salad.