Eating seasonal produce is a concept that we should integrate more often into our daily cooking. Here are some of the many benefits:
- Vegetables and fruits are at their peak both in terms of taste and nutritional value.
- Seasonal produce harmonises with our nutritional needs.
- They are cheaper as they don’t have to travel thousands of miles to get onto the shelf of your local grocer.
- Clearly this is more environmentally friendly.
- You will be helping your local farmers and producers.
- Your cooking will become more creative as you focus on what is seasonally available.
- Out of season produce have often been treated with chemicals, ripening agents and wax coating.
My drop down list, divided by month, charts the availability of produce throughout the year (allowing for fluctuations in weather conditions). There are also non-native fruits and vegetables available all year around that I have included in this site.